Ask a Question

Write as briefly as possible. Answer will be sent to your email. Selected questions and answers will be posted on this site.

Name
Email
Question
Tip: How to backup outlook express
Handy outlook express backup software tool than backup and restore email.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Zakaat on Money Owed

Q: I sold my house to family member for £50,000, half in cash and half to pay in instalments over 5 years so I am owed the outstanding amount of £25,000. Do I have to pay zakat on the amount that is owed to me as I haven't received the remaining 25,000 cash yet? They are paying me 5,000 every year.
A: You have to pay zakaat on the outstanding amount also. However, you can pay the 2.5 percent on this amount from other funds in your possession or you can pay it from the instalments you receive yearly, In either case, remember that you have to pay on the balance owed to you yearly.
Moulana Naziem Moosagie
Checked by and ratified by: Mufti Siraj Desai