Ask a Question

Write as briefly as possible. Answer will be sent to your email. Selected questions and answers will be posted on this site.

Tip: How to backup outlook express
Handy outlook express backup software tool than backup and restore email.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Disobedience to Mother

Q: About 25 years ago I went to visit my mother. One day during lunch time meal she was giving me motherly advice about leading a decent life. Somehow for no apparent reason I got angry at her. I had bread in my hand and threw it to my mother’s plate and walked away. At that time I felt no remorse of my horrible action against my beloved mother and I never apologised to my her. The same year my mother passed away and I never asked her for forgiveness. Today when I remember my transgression to my beloved mother I feel so guilty and ashamed of myself. What should I do to remedy this since my mother is late now?
A: Never lose hope in the Mercy of Allah Ta'aala. The very fact that you regret the action is a good sign. You cannot seek her forgiveness because she has already passed away, but you can do the following:
a) Make Du'aa in abundance for her.
b) Whenever possible, give charity on her name.
c) Perform Nafl Salaah, recitation of the Qur'aan etc. and ask Allah to pass the reward of that act to her.
d) If your parents are buried nearby then make an effort to visit their graves every Friday. It comes in the Hadeeth that a person who visits the graves of his parents every Friday will be written down in the Records of Allah as an obedient child. (Mishkaatul-Masaabeeh) When visiting their graves read Surah Ikhlaas, Faatihah, and any portion of the Qur'aan, and send the rewards to them. Also make Du'aa for them at the graveside.
e) When reading Yaseen daily, send the reward of this Surah to your mother and father.By doing the above-mentioned, hopefully Allah Ta'aala will forgive you and have mercy on you. May Allah Ta'aala grant you ease. Aameen.

Moulana Yusuf Laher
and Mufti Siraj Desai